Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sad, Sorrow, All is Quiet

No matter how you celebrate Christmas this year,
make sure you hug your kids and remember
those families who can't

** this isn't a typical Laughter, Could be the Missing Piece Blog**
I grew up in New England, Massachusetts to be exact.  I love the beautiful scenery, distinct seasons, tiny towns and tree lined neighborhood streets.  I love the history, the culture just about everything about that part of the country.  I have been to or through 49 of the 50 states, lived for one year on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands (my senior year of high school) and have lived in Cali for the past 18 years.  I would move back to Massachusetts in a heartbeat on any day of the week except for yesterday (12/14/12).
The sorrow that reached us was likely defused a little by the distance but still it was heart stopping.  The senseless act broke the joy my kids were feeling about it being the last day of school for 2012.  My daughter was visibly shaken and I made a decision not to talk to James about it yet.  He doesn't understand a lot about violence involving children and for now, I would like to keep it that way.  We will talk to him about it soon but not right now.
Today, we all mourn for the families who are trying to pick up the pieces in that community.  Those who lost loved ones, those who have young children who will have to go on without best friends, siblings, teachers they loved.  I hope the community has an amazing mental health support system to help these elementary children now and for the years to come.  I hope that the families who lost their children so close to the holidays find peace in the season if not this year, then in the years to come.  They will have to make peace with the presents that won't be opened, the family vacations that may have to be cancelled, the start of school in the New Year that will likely be horribly difficult seeing the other kids in the neighborhood walk to school.
How does a whole community recover from such a terrible violent act?  By coming together and loving each other through the pain, the emptiness and the out of control feelings.  This was posted on  Facebook and it has amazing wisdom and advise from a gentle giant from my childhood...

As we go forward, we should try to remember that we need to look to the helpers around us.  Let us also look to those who help people who have violent tendencies, mental illness and uncontrollable violent thoughts.
PEACE to all from Laughter, Could be the Missing Piece!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment