Thursday, April 19, 2012

Potty Mouth... Not In My Kitchen!

I woke up this morning with today's blog mostly mapped out in my head.  I turned on the computer and the first thing I saw was a blog entitled "POOP" on one of my favorite Autism blogs, Bacon and Juice Boxes: http://baconandjuiceboxes.blogspot.com/2012/02/poop.html  My great blog idea went out of my head as I read the page before me.  Individuals with Autism often have .... tummy troubles.  As I read the horrifying account of a grueling medical procedure that his little boy had to endure, it occurred to me that ASD parents will literally talk to anyone, any place about ANYTHING.

Today I feel unusually conflicted about my place of joy.  My family is very lucky that James doesn't have the horrible GI problems that often plague children with Autism.  What a weird thing to be happy about.  YUP, my kid as terrific bowel movements!  On the long laundry list of possible "+1's" (Autism + speech delay + sensory integration deficits + ADHD + OCD +... see... that is the "+1") that an Autistic kid could have, he has a healthy GI system!  We have a different problem in our house....... potty mouth!

My son loves to see his sister squirm and nothing gets her more riled up than his talking about bodily functions and body parts.   We had to put a stop to it for her desire to have a supper with out "those words" being talked about.  To an 8 year old boy, poop, pee, butt and fart are hysterical conversation starters.  In our house, if he isn't in the bathroom when he is talking about such things, he is given a warning and if he doesn't stop... well you all know the drill, we start taking stuff away hoping that he will stop before you get to the big stuff that if he doesn't have in his life means your life will be HELL!!!


Well, two weeks ago he finally figured out how to have the best of both worlds.  We were having a lovely family meal together and James was fully involved with eating and listening to the conversation. All of a sudden, he jumped up from the table, ran into the bathroom, (which happens to be in the kitchen across from the table from his sister), and turned on the light.  He closed the door took a breath and let out a long utterance of : POOOOOOPPOOOOPPEEEEEEBBBUUUUUUTTTTTTT and let out an audible fart!!!! After about a minute, he opened the door, turned off the light, sat back at the table and smiled at his sister.  Then he looked at me to see what I was going to do.  My husband and daughter also looked at me to see what their reactions should be.  Without even taking a breath, I put my hand out and gave my son a big high-five!  After all he had followed all of the rules, he was respectful of his sisters sensitive side and he had outsmarted the adults in the family!!




3 comments:

  1. I just read your blog, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your life experience. I am searching for a connection with other parents of children that are on the autism spectrum. You can find me on Facebook at:

    http://www.facebook.com/Damonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are enjoying the blog. My son is hysterical and is beginning to realize it. I belong to MyAutismTeam.com it is a wonderful support network of families across North America. There is a spot on the site to recommend providers and the support is wonderful. I hope you will join us there.

      Delete
  2. LOL!!! Love the hi 5!!!


    and if you are interested, you can turn of those captch things in your comment settings.

    ReplyDelete