Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hoping For a Happier Day!

James has been royally difficult over the past few weeks. School has been out and schedules have changed and with that BAM, anxiety has turned my sweet little man into Oppositional Defiant Guy!  I honestly don't know if this is a new superhero or just one that has been suppressed.  All I know is, I am exhausted before I wake up.  I have been conditioned to keep conversations short because the explosion can happen at any moment for just about any reason.  James usually has everything planned out in his head and to him that is the only way things can go.  I am usually the one who causes the fury because he has been conditioned to ask me before doing anything.  Silly me, I should have never taught him that!
So last night at supper, James asked me to tell him the story of when he met his best friend.  In my best, exhausted, story voice, I simply stated... "You got on the school bus, saw a boy, sat down, drove the driver crazy, the end." James got up from the table, (bad sign) came over to me (really bad sign) and opened his mouth (really really bad sign). "Mom (not an angry voice so maybe this is okay), that is only a topic, you need more details in your story!" Then he walked away.  Nothing was thrown at me, I didn't have to dodge something being kicked in my direction, my ears didn't bust from his horrific yelling right in my face, doors were not slammed, feet were not stomped... just a peaceful conversation.
One of my favorite bedtime story books is Once upon a time, the End (asleep in 60 seconds) by Geoffrey Kloske and Barry Blitt.  This is where I learned about brevity of conversations with difficult children.  Just the facts, nothing fluffy filling the space between the beginning and the end.  I hope someday to be able to get back to normal conversations with James but for now, I am going to just keep it simple and short.  The End
before it knocks you out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment