Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Memories........... Oh, That is from the Wrong Musical!

We watch a lot of musicals in our family!  My kids know all of the music from many of the popular musicals from the time they have been alive (RENT, Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray...)  They are also exposed to fun favorites from my husband and my childhood as well as our parents time (Godspell, Singing in the Rain (this one is celebrating it's 60th anniversary this year and Fathom Events is showing it on 7/12/12 in local theaters (theater locations here!) , Meet Me in Saint Louis, State Fair, ...)
Anyway, a few days ago, my husband put Mary Poppins in the DVD player.  James isn't really familiar with this one but he loves music and dancing so my husband gave it a try.  James was enamored by the melodic songs and fun magic that Mary Poppins uses while watching the children.   It was fairly close to James' bedtime and he was obviously tired.  He was certainly enjoying the movie but had already retrieved his pillow and blanket from his bedroom.  We got to the point of the movie when Mary Poppins was putting the children to bed after a busy day in the chalk picture.  They were too excited to possibly go to sleep and she sings her magical lullaby.  James was very interested to find out that I used to sing the same lullaby to him when he was a little baby and toddler.  He was disappointed to find out that he no longer was "fected" by the music as it didn't put him to sleep like it did Jane and Michael.

Today I choose to find my bliss that my family loves musicals as much as I do and it is something we will always have in common.  We will always have music even when we are not together it draws us closer and is the glue that keeps our very special family together. Enjoy a wonderful musical with your family today and make some memories.

2 comments:

  1. Ours particularly love Jesus Christ Superstar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of the musicals of the 70's also as it was when I was first really aware of the beauty of genre. I also love Jesus Christ Superstar but my kids haven't seen it all the way though because of the intensity of the Judas final scene.

      Love Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!

      Delete