Saturday, June 2, 2012

Point Systems and Reinforcement

We had many systems in place this past year to help James in the classroom. One was an end of the day self and teacher reflection page.  He was also on a point system for compliance (total of 10 possible points per day) and a +1 on that point system if he got out of the car and walked independently into the classroom.  These systems became a way for us to reward him for following directions, classroom rules and being independent, all very good things but they were also the "money" he used to get stuff he wanted.  (remember an earlier blog Let's Make a Deal! Click Here) Well, throughout the year we have set the bar at about 50-75 points  (this usually took about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to reach) to get trips to favorite restaurants, Pokemon figurines, Angry bird figurines and other medium ranged items.  When James needed a richer reinforcement schedule we instituted a system where if he got 8+ points in one day he could get something smaller such as 7 football cards...
Well, yesterday was the last day of school and there was no school work.  It was a day of fun and watching movies, being with friends and celebrating.  I picked up James as usual and he came bouncing to the car.  He was so bubbly that he could barely get the words out, "Mom... you will be so surprised... look in my red folder...NOW!!"  It was a good thing that my husband was driving so I could look:

The next thing I heard him say was..." WHAT can I get with that many points!!"  AHHHH... any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!!
    Not sure what to suggest for the 1000 points, but if 8 points is worth 7 football cards than 1000 points should be worth a whole box! Yikes!
    I also really like the reporting system and I think I might incorporate it into mine for the new year as I move to my new school. I've been with the same school for almost 7 years now way across town. In September I move to a new site for the same program, but much closer to home (15 minute commute)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just posted the cash out for 1,000 points. My husband had bought an Angry Bird blanket wrap and James was so thrilled with it. Can't wait for him to be all cosy with it when it reaches 105 degrees here!

      Delete
  2. I always love seeing new behavior ideas. I love the point system and self-reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self reflection is a really important part of James' day. He has difficulties with going through the day and concentrating on what he did well and what things were difficult for him. I came up with this system and it seems to work pretty well for him.

      Delete