Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Only Black and White.... That is James' World... and it can be CONFUSING!!!

I love those sweet chubby cheeks!!
Those of us who are familiar with Autism are aware that black and white thinking is a huge part of who they are.  James is very strict with how things are done.  If his teacher teaches one way, I had better be privy to his methods.  If I tell him something, his dad had better say the same thing in the same way I did or James' world will fall apart.
He is also exceptionally literal and morally driven!  Last year he got in trouble in school for picking up a pencil for a friend during a testing situation.  His teacher had told the kids they were not allowed to get out of their seats.  James overrode that rule with his understanding of what it means to be a friend.  He was helping out this other child and that is never wrong, right?  He remembers this to this day and is still confused by it.
I even love them in black and
white!!!
Last night, when I put him to bed, I told him that I didn't want him to get out of bed in the hour of 5 again like the morning before.  He said "okay" and drifted off to sleep.  This morning I was on the computer checking my email around 5:45.  I started to hear things happening down the hall but didn't think much about it because today is one of Charlotte's' early days.  Anyway, I started to hear two voices and giggling.  I looked up and saw my little man peeking around the corner.  I said good morning and he giggled.  "Mom, I am up in the hour of 5!" "Yes, you are, but at least it is close to 6 and not close to 4 like yesterday." "Can I be up?" "Sure little man, good morning."  I LOVE early morning giggling huggers!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment