Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Active and Inventive Dressing and Undressing


James is very active!  He moves a lot when he needs to get dressed and undressed. I think it is a shimmy thing, if he wiggles, then the clothes get on and off easier.  Items that are taken off are always karate chopped or punted across the room.  I spend my mornings, after dropping him off at school, following the path of discarded clothing that usually ends up in several rooms.  At this point, I have decided to pick my battles and be grateful that he is showing independence in this life skill.  I will tackle the clothing organization later, when he is old enough to wash his own clothes.
One of my biggest battles in the morning involves finding and getting James' shoes on his feet.  I can't tell you how many times I have called my husband at work and quickly asked, "where are the shoes?" My husband is a ponderer.  Drives me crazy, especially when we are running late!  He will often think for what seems like an eternity (usually 30 seconds or so), and say something like, "Well they could be several places.  Have you looked in the ... or the... you might want to try the..." By this time, I am fit to be tied and my daughter is panicking and looking at the time, knowing that she is going to be late to chemistry AGAIN!  I am feeling a sense of relief with only 4 days left in the school year.  I only have to do the mad hunt 4 more times, and then I have 10 weeks before I need to start it up again.
So today, I find my bliss knowing that James is starting to show some independence in dressing and undressing.  He is creative in his method.  I also choose to find my bliss knowing that very few people on the planet have ever run all over the house looking for shoes, only to find them right in front of their noses.  Next time I am looking, this will certainly be the first place I will try!!


6 comments:

  1. I have seriously considered doing the same thing with the Monkey's shoes as I have done with his socks...buy a bunch of identical pairs and hope we can locate a left and a right before we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May be a good idea but we buy shoes every few months for James because his feet are growing so quickly. His feet are the size of his 15 year old sisters and he is only 8. I just now look in the most unlikely spot. My husband did remind me today after he read the blog that he is trying to leave them in the same spot every night. Things have gotten better and with the summer coming up we will not have to deal with this as often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this is how shoes end up on power lines all over the world?
    I also buy a pack of plain socks from time to time for my classroom in case someone needs a fresh pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how the shoes end up on the power lines. James has a mighty kick and that is how this happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've always had multiple pairs of shoes/sandals. It is always an issue to find the shoes so this helps. I could always get them cheap until this year in hs. Then his Dad came home with 2 pairs of really expensive "good" shoes for Patrick for cross country. The waste of money made me mad. And then the season started - can't tell you how many times even for a 15 year old that extra pair came in handy. Heard from my husband's cousin this summer that when he was a little boy in Florida his family would be late to church cause they were looking all over for Larry's shoes! He hadn't worn them during the week so it REALLY made it a hard find. Connection? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could go back to the tropics where shoes were optional. It is basically disposable money as far as I can tell because James grows so quickly that we are buying them all the time. We get the cheap ones at Walmart.

      Delete