Friday, May 11, 2012

Ah... Memories... YO, Amnesia Where are You???

blurry picture was not intentional but represents
 his kindergarten year perfectly!
(I had a completely different blog planned for today well to be accurate, 3 but they will come another time.)
I woke up to a wonderful blog by one of my favorite Autism bloggers Homestyle Mama (with a side of Autism) click here.  She was lamenting the reality of kindergarten orientation and I remembered James' kindergarten year.  So here I am remembering what he was like at 6 and he got upset.  Can you say DUCK!!!!!! Or maybe FOUR!!!!!!! Both of those phrases signify that everyone should protect their heads because something is flying!  In James' case, it was classroom chairs!  He tried as hard as he could that year to teach those unteachable chairs how to fly but no matter how many times he showed them, they always needed help!
Transitions were horrible!! Not just big transitions like weekends and vacations but going from point A to point B in the classroom!  Way to many things to touch and get interested in.  He had a solid 5 weeks of RED behavior after Christmas break!  James was in a typical classroom with aide support and eventually kindergarten was over and the prospect of a new and wonderful year in first grade was just 11 weeks away.
First grade also started out rocky because his aide burned out in the first week.  I remember pulling up to drop him off and seeing her waiting for him at the curb.  She literally looked like she had just completed a full marathon and the day hadn't even begun.  I called to James' clinical supervisor and relayed my concern and a new aide was in place immediately.  James no longer threw chairs when upset ~ he pushed kids.  Okay, not a great substitute but I looked at it as progress!  4 aides later..... We finished 1st grade.  My husband and I had made a decision to find a k-8th grade school for James because we didn't want him to have the middle school nightmare that we both did with all of his other challenges (well that is our story and we are sticking to it [sub story is the second grade teachers at the school where he was were already starting to look nervous]).  Ah new school and a new chance for a clean start.
Second grade was our chance.  James had made remarkable progress and was on track for a wonderful year!  He made friends very easily (although with only 3 weeks left in the school year, he still only knows about 1/3 of the kids names).  He is a superstar and keeping up academically.  In fact he made the "baby" honor roll (the official one doesn't start until 4th grade) and for the most part is ready for 3rd grade.  He proved to be "typical" in the classroom, through the data, as compared to other children in the class.  He was fully faded from his Autism aide in early April because the data showed he was "typical". He still has his moments but his charm and intelligence shine.  James has a new way of showing he is upset... he stomps his foot and pounds the table.  Progress indeed!  I keep telling myself that 2 years ago he would have thrown a chair so I will take the foot stomping over the flying furniture any day!
James when he gets to do "home school" momma
when he goes to school and she gets a break
I am currently on day 2 of "school at home" because of too many things to mention here while we wait for the emergency IEP to get an aide back in the classroom for the rest of the school year.  For all of the home schooling families out there, OMG you are my new heroes.  You have to be the strongest people on the planet.  Not just emotionally but physically!  I have gone through my arsenal of tricks to get James to write a spelling paragraph, 5 sentences,  using 8 words.   This weeks words don't inspire me any more than they inspire him {useless, clueless, jobless, shapeless, helpless, playful, hopeful, harmful, shameful, wonderful, soundless, carefully, beautiful, forgetful, fearless, grateful} but I bet I could write a 5 sentence paragraph! James knows that because of my physical limitations I can't physically make him do anything so I have to rely on my superpower of being the master of one up-man-ship.  So far nothing has worked.  Just before I sat down to write this blog, I lured him out of his room with the "let's call Papa" card because James wants him to bring wood to make a hockey stick.  Nope, nada, nyet, nein!!!! So I trumped his "Nope" with my "well, I am not going to call Papa until you write your paragraph"  Ready to have him rush down and get right to work because I had played my best card I was stunned when I heard "OOOOOOOOH look who has a temper!" (SLAM went the door and TV and giggling commenced)    
 help me !!
James when he has to go to school and 
momma when she has to do school at home
James' favorite "school at home" aide!!  (Astra)

No comments:

Post a Comment