Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mom... She Said the S-T word!!!!!


James adores chess.  It is a game that he can win because no one else in the house really plays it.  The set that we have is a training set and it has the different moves each piece can make.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  The concept of chess eludes me. My husband will play with him and they are fairly well matched. My daughter on the other hand, "chess me no likey!" We were talking about chess at supper the other night and James challenged her to a match.  She indicated that the game would be over very quickly because she would make nothing but stupid moves. James looked at her and told me that she had just said the "S-T" word.  She quickly changed the word to "Dumb" and he immediately did the same thing only said that she was using the "D" word. My husband chimed in and gave another alternative, "inadvisable," whereon James immediately smiled at him and said, "Dad, that is an "I" word!"

No wonder no one wants to play chess with him; everything they say will be broken down and turned into a spelling of phonics lesson!  So today I choose to find my bliss knowing that James has mastered the basics of chess,  annoying his sister and making me smile all through his wit.  Chess anyone?  It is your move!!

2 comments:

  1. I "pretend" to play chess, but am a bad opponent. Patrick used to play quite often with his male therapist with a Marvel Comics chess set we found for him. 2 loves in one game. He also has had great fun with giant chess sets we have found in parks. He was able to engage with "neurotypical" boys in the park. Or perhaps they all had a bit of ASD...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that most of the best chess players have a bit of ASD!!

      Delete