Sunday, May 6, 2012

UGGGGHH my GPS is Stuck on Autism Meltdown instead of Awesome Destination :(

On the heels of a very stressful week for James because of the whole pond anxiety and the eventual event of visiting the pond, we strapped James in the car for a wonderful 4 hour drive.  Crazy you may think, but this trip had been planned for months.  The trip was designed to give James' uncle and aunt quality time with him while my daughter and I continued onward to see the musical Avenue Q.  What could go wrong?  We had finally talked James off the ceiling about never wanting to go over the Grapevine pass again because he wouldn't be traveling that part of the trip.  The last time we did the Grapevine, he had a cold and the pressure at 4,000 feet was not a great experience for him!
We got to where we were leaving the boys and James was thrilled because he had a new card game he wanted to play with everyone. Ratuki is a super fast but simple game that we are using to help James with his processing skills. (click here for Ratuki) My daughter and I left and had a wonderful time at the musical (which by the way had an audience that was eclectically elderly and those seniors can giggle like teens!!).
My daughter and I arrived back to get the boys and found out that James had been in full meltdown once already that day after waking up very early at the hotel.  When it came time to go back home, James flexed his meltdown muscles and showed his not pretty side again.  After my husband struggled with the furious octopus we finally got him to calm down to our DVD of Happy Feet 2.   By the way, Krill are hysterical!! Off we went hoping to make it home before he exploded again.  About 1/2 hour into the ride he declared that he had waited long enough for lunch. We stopped and ordered foods that I knew he would inhale, in case this was all hunger.  He had pizza and a double order of french fries.  As he put the last bite of pizza in his mouth he frantically started looking for the waitress.  I knew that look and told him that he wasn't getting anymore pizza and also warned him that if he chose not to make a good choice then we would leave.  I pointed out that he had a mountain of french fries and he was content (EXHALE!)  Yay ME!!
Back in the car, we listened to music as we drove back to our familiar surroundings.  James was rocking out to our new SMASH album and already knows all of the words to "Touch Me." (Click here) I am so proud that my kids love music.  Avenue Q with my daughter and my son singing "Touch Me" all in the same weekend!  Someone pinch me!!!!!!!!!!!
Eventually the singing in the backseat died down and I turned to find  James sleeping.  Can't wait for tomorrow when I can relax after such a busy weekend.  It is the early day at school and the kids are home at 1:45 and James has therapy at 4 but I am looking forward to him getting back to the familiar and giving the meltdown gods a rest!!!!!!


Exposing our kids to new and wonderful experiences is exhausting!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My daughter wanted to make sure that no one would get the wrong impression on the type of music we listen to. We are a super musical family and love Broadway, Country, Josh Groban, Il Divo, Shaina Twain, Adam Lambert, David Cook.......... My husband loves classical and I can appreciate it but it is difficult to sing along to.

    ReplyDelete