Monday, May 28, 2012

SHHHHHHHHH... Anxiety...........SHHHHHHHHH... I am Watching a Play!!!

As I have said in previous posts, James is riddled with anxiety.  We never really know when it will rear its ugly head but it happened again last night.  I announced at supper that we would be watching the Royal Albert Hall performance of the Phantom of the Opera sometime in the evening.  James adores the music to the show and has watched the movie many times.  However, I learned last night that to him the movie is real and the play really isn't.
James snuggled into a chair as the play started  running and rambled though his anxiety as he heard the beginning of the orchestration.  I knew he was excited because he started talking very fast but this could also be the anxiety working its magic.  Anyway, this is pretty much how it went "Okaymomthisisn'tthemoviewhichIdon'tlikebuttheplaywiththemusicIdolikeandIcansingthemusictotheplayIdolikebuthemovie istooscaryandtheplayisn'trealitisjustthemusicandthepeoplesingingthemusicIlike"
I attempted to sooth his nerves and was greeted with a big "SHHHHHHHHHH, I am watching the play!"

So I shushed and continued watching the play.  James was certainly enjoying it very much and pushed his bath time several times with the "Not now dad, I am watching the play that I like."  He hummed and sang to the music and had a fantastic time.  Soon the show got to the point where the Phantom takes Christine into his lair to train her some more.  She swoons after the Music of the Night song and awakes the next morning still unsure of where she is. She hears the organ playing and goes to investigate.   Now, James loves the unveiling of the Phantom and cheers him on like one would cheer on a favorite team at a sports event.  Something about the character moves him and his empathy kicks in. (This is the clip from the movie as I couldn't find one from the live performance but the music is the same.)
As the mask is torn off of his face, the Phantom uses some strong words (well strong for this show).  James looked at me and said "OOOOOOOH, he said some bad words!  He is in trouble!" I smiled at him an asked if he thought the Phantom would have to write sentences for breaking that rule.  James smiled with unbridled glee and said, "Yeah, make him write sentences, that will teach him!!!" and went back to watching the play.  (James sometimes has to write sentences at school for not following the rules)
Today I choose to find my bliss knowing that my kids have amazing taste in music and know what the rules are in our house.  Whether or not they decide to follow those rules is quite another topic but last night, James remembered that we generally don't use strong words in our house.

4 comments:

  1. Impressed by the sophisticated drama and story! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He truly is an impressive kid! Thanks for commenting on this post! James adores musicals from RENT to Hello Dolly. He loves singing along with the leading guy part and directs either his sister or me to sing the girls part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you say "Generally we don't use strong words in our house" You are keeping your blog real which makes it so easy to relate to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete